Are you a relentless consumer advocate? Do you think the healthcare industry needs to evolve and adapt to consumerism in an ever evolving and data-driven world? Do you have an entrepreneurial mindset? Are you energized by assimilating consumer data and transforming it into meaningful, actionable insights that define strategies and drive execution of a consumer-centric healthcare experience? If so, UNC Health is looking for you to join our team!
This position will lead the Consumer Insights and Research team – capturing primary and secondary consumer research trends. You are proficient in leveraging both qualitative and quantitative methodologies and managing a range of digital data capture channels. You will collaborate and partner with cross-functional leaders and teams to deliver insights that influence enterprise strategies that differentiate UNC Health as a national consumerism leader.
Reporting to the Vice President of Consumerism and Insights, you will have regular contact with C-level executives, and be a highly visible presence across the health care system continuously elevating the quality and impact of all consumer insights work. You have a strong working knowledge of consumer data sets (first, second and third party), coupled with an understanding of the value of primary research (qualitative and quantitative), a solid understanding of secondary research.
You will be accountable for leading and managing a consumer insights strategy and experience agenda that supports and influences investments across the system including Strategic Planning, Primary On-Demand Care, Brand Engagement, Population Health, Marketing and Communications, New Business Ventures, Virtual Care, Ambulatory, Clinical Operations and dual transformation initiatives.
Description of Job Responsibilities 1. Consumer Insights – Develops and implements an annual consumer insights agenda and budget that supports UNC Health’s consumerism strategies including: product development, consumer perception and use of health and wellness trends, competitive positioning and other key insights that will help drive consumer attraction, attachment and motivate behaviors. Oversees voice of the consumer decision support information including but not limited to online advisory panel, consumer interviews, surveys and other feedback channels. Translates feedback into actionable insights that help drive, develop or refine UNC Health’s business/brand and consumer marketing strategies. Directs the development of key voice of consumer and market position dashboard information. Ensures the compilation and delivery of metrics for brand perception, share of voice and overall growth and retention, and communicates to leaders on a regularly defined basis. Oversees the development and user experience testing process for new products, services and joint venture activities.
2. Insights and Research – Develop whitespace consumer insights by conducting evocative primary and secondary qualitative and quantitative research. Continuously raise the bar on how the health care system collects, manages, and acts on insights about how our consumer experience can be improved. Dive deep into data to understand not only the “what” but the “so what" in both ad-hoc research projects and monthly tracking studies.
3. Consumer Segmentation and Activation - Owns the activation, adoption and optimization of UNC Health’s Consumer Segmentation Model. Continue to relentlessly develop a deep understanding of consumers—including their demographic profile, their needs, attitudes, and behaviors—to influence strategic opportunities and the growth strategy for the system. Lead a data-driven consumer marketing strategy, including the end-state vision of how we use consumer insights to activate segmentation to deliver personalized messages.
4. Dual Transformation - Work closely with Enterprise Strategy and Transformation teams to inform early-stage opportunity exploration and integrate a future-forward view of markets and consumer needs, fast-forwarding 3 – 5 years out to anticipate opportunities to win in tomorrow’s market.
5. Cultivate Consumer “Always” Culture - Democratize insights across the organization by consulting with leaders to identify and unpack high-impact insights. Apply sound research and business logic to match research questions with the most appropriate methodology and techniques. Build scalable and agile market research solutions, tools, and processes to craft succinct and actionable narratives grounded in data and customer anecdotes.
6. Support Shift to Value-Based Care Model - Support UNC Health Alliance in their ability to activate consumer insights and experience to support the on-going shift to a value based model and develop outreach efforts to activate members to engage in care management and wellness measures.
Leadership 1. Leading People – Leads people toward meeting the organization’s vision, mission and goals. Provides an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation, teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts. Treats sensitive or confidential information appropriately. Works to improve and reinforce performance of others. Delegates assignments, clarifies expectations and holds others accountable for achieving results related to their area of responsibility. Encourages workforce engagement by building a commitment to excellence. Works collaboratively toward solutions that accomplish organizational objectives.
2. Leading Change – Initiates and manages the change process, taking steps to remove barriers to accelerate its pace. Communicates a compelling vision and need for change that generates excitement, enthusiasm and commitment to the process. Clearly communicates the direction, required performance, and challenges of change to all involved parties. Identifies and enlists the support of key individuals and groups to move the change forward. Obtains and provides resources to implement change initiatives. Serves as a role model by demonstrating commitment to innovation and continuous improvement in organizational performance.
3. Results Driven – Willing to be hands-on and serve as a strategic filter for incoming insights requests. Exceeds departmental and organizational goals and consumer expectations. Makes decisions that produce high-quality results by applying knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks. Understands the overall financial performance of the health care system and applies financial concepts and practices to establish and maintain realistic budgets.
Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Psychology, Economics, Communications or Statistics. Master's degree preferred.
Ten (10) years delivering customer-driven strategies based on heavy use of qualitative research and analytics; Seven (7) years of management experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: • Interest and ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative and agile operating model, i.e., not a good fit for people who are highly competitive or whose working style is to work 100% independently • Success within complex, multi-business line, and/or consumer based organizations where the consumer is highly involved in the purchase decision, and the quality of experience is of paramount importance; • Strong experience in leading qualitative research including moderating in-person/virtual focus groups and IDIs. • Experience with quantitative methodologies including, but not limited to segmentation, conjoint and max diff studies. • Experience with or understanding of website analytics and digital trends. • Proven experience presenting to, and influencing, senior executives across an organization; highly articulate presentation skills • Strong knowledge of design thinking principles
Personality Profile: • Passion and energy for inciting results through others • Managerial courage—no “order-takers” • Strong commitment to patients, consumers, and co-workers • Goal-oriented and personally accountable • Open minded—seeks “out-of-box” solutions • High level of maturity and integrity/“EQ” • Influences and inspires others to achieve • Resourceful and self-directed
This position is employed by NC Health (Rex Healthcare, Inc., d/b/a NC Health), a private, fully-owned subsidiary of UNC Health Care System, in a department that provides shared services to operations across UNC Health Care. This is not a State employed position.
Internal Number: COM0001I
About UNC Health
UNC Health is an integrated health care system owned by the state of North Carolina and based in Chapel Hill. UNC Health is committed to empowering health, not just health care. From Magnet recognition to being named one of America's Best Employers by Forbes Magazine, we're proud to say that our hard work is consistently recognized, awarded, and celebrated.
UNC Health and our 33,000 employees, continue to serve as North Carolina’s Health Care System, caring for patients from all 100 counties and beyond our borders. We continue to leverage the world class research conducted in the UNC School of Medicine, translating that innovation to life-saving and life-changing therapies, procedures, and techniques for the patients who rely on us.