Save Ellis Island, Inc. is a non-profit partner of the National Park Service. Our Mission is to raise the funds to rehabilitate, preserve and beneficially re-use twenty nine historic buildings on the south side of Ellis Island that once served as the Ellis Island Hospital.
Save Ellis Island consults with the National Park Service on the use of the buildings and oversees the rehabilitation process as well as providing excellent education programs for the public. The Foundation is funded through government grants, private foundation grants and corporate and public donations. In 2014 Save Ellis Island opened a portion of the Ellis Island Hospital for guided tours and programs. Revenue from these programs helps to provide funding for operations and preservation projects.
The Development Manager is a high-level fundraising and communications position who will serve as the foundation’s primary grant writer. This person is also responsible for managing a portfolio of federal, state and foundation grants and corporate and public donations. The Development Manager is a full time position with benefits reporting directly to the President of the foundation.
The successful candidate will bring passion, creativity, dedication, and a high level of energy to their work. They will have an established record of securing major gifts from diverse sources and leadership experience in a growing organization.
Create a grant portfolio for Government, Foundation and Corporate giving and act as Save Ellis Island’s lead grant writer.
- Research and write grant applications, proposals, narratives, letter of intent, interim and final reports.
- Develop a grant calendar to schedule grant applications, reports and follow-up activities.
- Research, prospect, cultivate and manage donor and prospect activities across all areas of the development program including fund raising events.
- Execute annual Membership, End of Year and other giving programs by working with vendors from beginning design to mailing
- Coordinate month-end and year-end reconciliations with Finance Manager.
- Author, organize and send news, updates and timely correspondence to donors and partners.
Provide direct supervision for staff responsible for database management, database reports, mailing acknowledgments, social media, and upcoming activities.
- Ensure acknowledgements, annual reports, program reports are up to date and provided to donors.
- Identify In-kind donation opportunities with partners and prospects.
- Develop matching gifts and donor recognition programs
- Other duties as assigned.