Standing on a foundation of more than 85 years of tradition and success in educating the students of Hudson County and the state, New Jersey City University is poised for tremendous growth and impact. Our future is bold, our vision is ambitious and our mission could not be more important.
NJCU’s vision is to be an outstanding state and regional institution, educating the leaders of tomorrow and to advance the well-being of the people of New Jersey through the creation and dissemination of knowledge. To realize this vision, we have set a course to elevate the University to historic heights and set a big agenda for the future.
Under the bold and energetic leadership of President Sue Henderson and building on the momentum of Jersey City’s continued renaissance NJCU is focused on transforming itself and propelling the next chapter of Jersey City’s future through strategic investment in four key drivers:
- Enhancing student success
• Building a dynamic School of Business
- Investing in Health & Sciences
• Elevating the arts
The Director of Development is responsible for cultivating relationships with alumni and friends of the University and soliciting gifts in support of the University.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President for Development, the Director of Development is responsible for cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding alumni and friends of the University to meet fundraising goals as part of the University’s comprehensive capital campaign. The Director of Development will serve in a central fundraising capacity and have the opportunity to work with a diverse set of programs, schools, units, colleagues across the University. S/he will focus his or her efforts on closing major gifts of $25,000 and above.
It is expected that the Director of Development will actively manage a portfolio of over 150 prospects and donors, make a minimum of 15 qualified visits per month, and meet defined fundraising goals each fiscal year. Some travel is expected to key areas of the country where NJCU alumni reside.
KEY DUTIES IN ORDER OF IMPORTANCE AND PERCENTAGE OF TIME
The Director of Development is a key member of the Development team, which falls under the division of University Advancement. This individual will demonstrate leadership capabilities essential to the execution of a successful fundraising campaign effort. Key responsibilities and performance indicators include:
- Executes fundraising campaign strategy and overall responsibility for the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors in assigned areas. Accountable for achieving fundraising goals, including meeting attendance, solicitations and dollars raised. Manages a portfolio of 150 prospects. Solicits gifts in support of campaign priorities for university departments and their programs. (75%)
- Assists in the creation and staffing of volunteer committees. Manages volunteer leaders for the university and unit campaigns. Staffs campaign committees in leadership development, fundraising, and program development in conjunction with national senior management. Provides framework and executes the screening and rating process of donors within assigned regions. (15%)
- Collaborates with internal constituencies on strategy and implementation of campaign efforts. Works closely with the annual giving, advancement services, event planning, research, and alumni relations departments with a focus on transparency across units and collaborative fundraising to maximize giving potential across units. (10%)