Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development and Communications is responsible for fundraising efforts, public relations, volunteer activities, and related special events. The primary focus for this position is for securing funds for Wediko through grant acquisition, individual donors, major gifts, corporate funds, and grant funding while promoting Wediko’s mission and programs. The Director works collaboratively with all areas of Wediko to understand program components, initiatives, and priorities while enhancing a philanthropic culture within the agency. The Director manages 2.5 employees as well as volunteers, contractors, and matrixed staff members contributing to grant writing or other development/communications endeavors.
- Develop and execute Wediko’s annual fundraising plan; securing financial support from individuals, foundations and corporations.
- Create and execute a strategy for a sustained base of annual individual donors.
- Oversee agency special events.
- Contribute to the execution of organizational strategy as an integral member of the leadership team, leveraging the time of the Executive Director and Program Directors to advance development and communications efforts.
- Partner effectively with Board of Directors, empowering all Board members with a clear understanding of the organization's development and communications’ strategies, sustainability, and support, as well as developing the capacity of the Board to achieve fundraising and marketing targets.
- Provide leadership to a passionate team of volunteers, directly managing the Board’s Development Committee as well as developing additional volunteer support for fundraising and communications efforts.
- Direct strategic communications and marketing efforts to increase organization’s visibility, supporting content development and identifying new media opportunities, while ensuring that all external materials align with and enhance the organization’s presence and identity.
- Serve as a supervisor, coach, and mentor to 2.5 staff, the Development Manager (responsible for individual giving, corporate partnerships, prospect research), part-time Grant Writer (writing corporate, foundation, and government grants as well as prospect research) and the Communications Coordinator (database management, social media, publications, event support)
- Act as chief fundraiser, developing and executing against detailed fundraising plans that increase year over year revenue from individual donors, corporate partners, foundations, and other sources
- Build and maintain strong, positive relationships with existing and prospective investors, deploying robust prospect research, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship action steps to expand the funding base
- Along with the Development Manager, oversee strategy, planning and execution of the organization’s signature annual event/s.
- Oversee the preparation of high-quality grant proposals, reports, mailings, and acknowledgements to support ongoing fundraising activities
- Refine and lead process to build annual and multi-year development plans aligned to organization’s strategic goals, including effective communication of the budget to team
- Build development models, tools and trainings that allow for long-term scenario planning and short-term, real-time decision making to maximize organization’s impact
- Oversee donor database and other systems of financial reporting for the Board, funders, government agencies, internal decision-makers and others, while ensuring the integrity, accuracy and relevance of development reports