Reporting to the CEO and a member of the senior management team, the Vice President of Communications and Marketing provides executive and strategic vision for all internal and external communications, marketing communications and public relations. Because our Group represents a diverse group of audiences and offers a wide range of services to its members and brokers, the VP of Communications and Marketing must develop messages targeted for a variety of audiences, while also recognizing the need for a consistent overall message and voice for the Group. In this leadership role, this individual must model respect and professionalism at all times. All VPs are required to comfortably multi-task and should be energized by nearly constant change. Ours is an entrepreneurial culture, led by a senior management team, but engaging the entire staff. “Not my job” is not part of our vocabulary. VPs must be true team players willing to abandon “turf” issues for the greater good and must be an example for all staff for exemplary ethical conduct.
While the majority of our Senior Leadership Team is located in Santa Cruz, California, and this would be our preferred location, the perfect candidate for this role may be located anywhere in the U.S.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops and implements internal and external communications, marketing and branding including collateral, websites and social media and public relations to fulfill the mission and strategic goals of the Group.
- Builds, maintains, and improves strategic relationships with media representatives and key industry players.
- Maintains a wide perspective of the issues, including regulatory and political, that impact the organization and both the insurance and nonprofit sectors.
- Proactively drives the Group’s strategy and message development and announcement strategies.
- Serve as a spokesperson for the Group as well as serving as the trusted communications advisor to the President and CEO and senior leadership team.
- Thinks creatively and proactively to produce opportunities that improve the visibility and profile of the Group and senior leadership in line with strategic goals. . Develop and implement thoughtful media plans around each opportunity. Ensure that all media engagements senior leaders are fully vetted and fully leveraged.
- Develops and executes rapid response communication, as needed.
- Facilitates and staffs media requests for senior executives and prepare executives for interviews with messaging, background, etc.
- Oversees and manages staffing related to conferences and events where the Group has a presence.
- Effectively and efficiently manages project budgets to ensure on-time and on-budget delivery.
- Develops and manages collaborative relationship with other organizations within the nonprofit sector, especially those providing infrastructure and training support to other nonprofits.
- Provides the President and Board of Directors with regular statistical information and reports relative to communication and marketing targets.
- Augments and maintains database on insurance coverage and loss control services offered to nonprofits by the commercial marketplace and provides advice on the mission and market impact of proposed coverage forms and changes or additions to existing forms.
- Develops communication materials regarding board of director nominations and elections to increase participation by members
- Maintains staffing levels appropriate for activities. Assigns work, sets priorities, and evaluates performance and evaluates departmental skill and experience needs and recruits, motivate sand develops talent for present and future departmental needs.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.