United Way Worldwide is the world’s largest privately-funded nonprofit. Our global mission is to improve lives by mobilizing the caring power of communities to advance the common good. United Way envisions a world in which all individuals and families develop and achieve their full potential through education, income stability, and healthy living. United Way employees possess the passion, expertise, and resources required to make great things happen–we invite you to be a part of the change–to Live United.
United Way USA is the leadership and support center for the network of more than 1,200 community-based United Ways in the United States.
The President, United Way USA is a visible leader for United Way and will:
- Provide leadership to the United Way USA Network to ensure adoption and successful implementation of the worldwide strategy, and improve capacity to meet stated national goals.
- Build key relationships with top corporate executives, major donors, policy leaders, and other stakeholders and partners to further engagement in and support of the United Way mission.
- Ensure that United Way USA is a full and active partner in the United Way Worldwide Network.
- Effectively mobilize Local United Way resources and gain commitments to act together to benefit the entire United Way system.
The President, United Way USA will accomplish this by:
- Participating as a member of the United Way Worldwide Executive Management Team in establishing the Worldwide Network Strategy and Implementation Plan, ensuring appropriate investment of resources and staff to support United Way USA Network goals.
- Building strong working relationships with and among Local United Way Chief Executive Officers, volunteer leaders, and others such as corporate leaders, organized labor, and donors.
- Effectively driving the implementation of the Worldwide Network Strategy and Implementation Plan within the Local United Ways in the US through partnership with the United Way USA Board, leadership of the United Way US Network teams, and dedicated support from functional leaders (e.g., Investor Relations, Marketing, Talent, Finance) within United Way Worldwide.
- Engaging personally (face-to-face) to influence alignment and drive use of best practices across the United Way USA Network; extensive travel required.
- Representing the needs of Local United Ways to the United Way Worldwide functional organizations to ensure the tools and products developed are effective and timely; direct leadership of dedicated functional staff assigned to support the United Way USA Network on an annual basis.
- Leveraging personal qualities and relationship building to inspire trust with and between Local United Ways, communities, and United Way Worldwide staff.
- Strengthening and growing the capacity of Local United Ways by using the tools and benchmarks established in partnership with United Way Worldwide functional teams, and engaging resources to impact the highest priority members.
- Developing, engaging, and motivating the United Way USA Operating Board. Working with the US Nominating Committee to identify and recruit Board members.
- Building on current partnerships and relationships with related private, public, and nonprofit organizations.
- Working with the Board and staff teams to generate the resources necessary to effectively execute the Worldwide Network Strategy and Implementation Plan.
- Strengthening United Way’s profile in the USA as a premier philanthropic and service organization which is at the forefront of building partnerships, forging consensus, and maximizing resources to address critical human needs in communities nationwide.
- Embracing diversity as a core value and business imperative in all aspects of United Way affairs, leveraging strengths in differences, and managing diversity as a vital resource.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable disabled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job.
The President, United Way USA will sit on the United Way Worldwide Executive Management Team and report directly to the President and Chief Executive Officer of United Way Worldwide.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE:
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are enthusiastic about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call 703-836-7100, ext. 428 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA; minutes from downtown Washington, DC. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: free parking and onsite gym; health, dental, vision, life, short-term and long-term disability insurance; 403(b) retirement plan; tuition assistance; paid time off; medical appointment leave; family sick leave; employee assistance program; monthly volunteer opportunities, and more.
Thank you for your interest in employment with United Way Worldwide. Please apply via the online system. You will be contacted if your qualifications are a good match and you are selected for an interview.